Machine Learning, Checking Boxes and Fighting Fear
Shane is an old friend of mine, a high school era acquaintance with whom I have many things in common, including our age, the number and ages of our kids, many of our interests. For that reason, perhaps it’s a bit narcissistic to have him on as the first guest, but folks – he’s an amazing fella I’m privileged to have had on the show.
Folks, it was so much fun recording the first episode with my friend and fellow hobby collector, Shane Murphy. Thanks so much, Shane!
Here’s some info so you can dig deeper into many of the things we discussed, if they tickled your fancy.
3:02 Machine Learning
– 5:22 Mentor Lynne Parker
– 7:52 Waterfall and Agile Software Development
– 8:56 Supervised Learning
– 9:15 Cluster Analysis
– 9:28 The Curse of Dimensionality
– 10:25 Bias/Variance Tradeoff
– 15:38 Book: Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
– 32:30 Self Efficacy
– 35:45 Origin of the Purpose Diagram
– 45:10 Defining Core Values via Artofmanliness.com
– 46:45 Shane’s Degree Program
– 48:05 Art term: Chiaroscuro
– 48:42 The Four Stages of Competence
– 49:00 Book: Outliers: The Story of Success
– 1:03:45 Flow Theory, and Positive Psychology
– 1:10:35 Dolly’s Imagination Library
– 1:11:06 Pechakucha
other links of interest
–Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
–What Color Is Your Parachute?
–The Science of Well-Being
–Big Five personality traits
–The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal
– Busting the “80% of All Jobs are Hidden” Myth
– Why The Best Jobs Are Never Advertised And How To Find Them